Auchinleck experienced a boom in the mid-nineteenth century as mining took off on a large scale locally - the town's population increased from 1,662 in 1831 to 6,681 in 1881. Included in Old Auchinleck are photographs of High House Rows, Bridgend Mill, the town's well-known Bridgend Garage and a dramatic picture of John Stewart's mobile shop in John Allardyce's garden after Mr Stewart had to swerve to avoid a coal lorry. Also pictured are the Miners' Rescue Station, St Patrick's football team and a group of Auchinleck Talbot supporters. There is an excellent record of the building that became the Boswell Museum prior to and during its restoration. Other views feature High House Pit's winding gear and beam engine, shaft-sinking at Barony Colliery, and members of Auchinleck Curling Club on Merlin Loch.