The pioneering industrial town of Alloa had one of Scotland's earliest railways - a wagonway built in 1766 to link the mines near Sauchie with the harbour. In addition to coal mining, a glassworks (still operating today) was set up in the town in 1750. Younger's the brewers came to Alloa in the 1760s and Paton’s, famous for producing knitting wools and yarns, arrived in the early nineteenth century. All these aspects of the town's past, along with the story of its docks and maritime heritage, are covered in Old Alloa. There are also pictures of all the main streets and many other locations and landmarks in the town.