The Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, which was originally opened in 1865, spent much of its first 100 years of existence known only to the West Yorkshire community it was built to serve. Then, during the 1960s, branch lines all over the country were closed as part of British Rail’s streamlining policy which also saw the replacement of steam locomotives with diesel and electric traction. The Worth Valley line itself was closed in 1962 but local people teamed up with railway enthusiasts in an effort to save it. Their determination saw the setting up of a preservation society which was the first to purchase a standard gauge railway from BR. Many years of volunteer toil resulted in the line reopening on 29th June 1968 since when the railway has been managed and operated by qualified volunteers who have now provided services for over three decades and justifiably celebrated forty years of operation in 2008.