The history of Aberchirder, from 18th century planned village to modern town is comprehensively chronicled in this volume, although the very name of Aberchirder is a contentious issue. The only settlement within the area covered by the 1764 village was a croft called Foggieloan, a name possibly deriving from the Gaelic for "peaty meadow" and an apt description of the land on which the village was built. When first established, Aberchirder was known as Foggieloan, or just as Foggie. The change of name to Aberchirder was imposed by the laird in 1823 but both names are still in common use within the village today. The book is replete with superb photographs complemented by lively and anecdotal captions by local author Bob Peden.